These lovely tarts make a great quick starter course. Spinach and feta work well together with a touch of smoke from the Garden Oven. Makes 8 good sized tarts. Prep time 30 minutes, bake time 20-25 minutes.
250 g spinach leaves
Large handful of fresh basil
250 g cream cheese
A beaten egg
25 g grated cheddar or Parmesan
250 g of ready made filo pastry
50 g feta cheese
- Get the garden oven to 180°C at a constant temperature with the fire burning with just embers.
Use the rack or a metal trivet on the stones.
- Brush a regular muffin pan with olive oil in 8 of the spaces.
- In a mixing bowl, add the cream cheese, grated cheddar, seasoning and egg. Beat all together.
- Tear all the spinach and basil into small pieces and drop into the bowl with the cheese mixture and stir together.
- Cut out 24 squares measuring about 5in x 5in of the filo pastry.
- Lay one square flat and place the other two slightly at an angle to create a jagged edge. Sit the pastry squares in the muffin pan and then spoon the spinach mixture into each pastry case.
- Crumble pieces of feta onto the top of each tart.
- Place the pan on the rack and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- They should come out when the tops are golden brown and the feta has browned and melted.